Sunday 8 January 2012

Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel VS Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish













My skin type is oily/normal and very sensitive meaning I break out easily.  I therefore have to be really careful with the products I choose to use on my face. For a long time now I have found that the best way to keep my skin in good condition is to commit to a regular cleansing routine.

One that I have really enjoyed and find that works well for me is the Dermalogica skin kit for normal/oily skin. It contains the special cleansing gel, multi-active toner, skin prep scrub and active moist moisturiser. In this review I am just going to concentrate on the Special Cleansing Gel as I will be comparing it with the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish.

The Special Cleansing Gel is described as a gentle foaming cleanser. It is great for individuals with sensitive skin (like mine) because it contains no soap, fragrance or colour. It is a product that aims to remove impurities without upsetting the skins natural moisture balance, and I definitely think it fits that description. It is best used on wet skin and with wet hands in order to turn the gel cleanser into a really good foamy product for the face. This is a cleanser that I have stuck with for a long time and I would say it is my HG. I have never found it to be too harsh, and it is amazing at taking all my makeup off in one go without causing any irritation at all!
Recently I decided to experiment and for Christmas I was fortunate enough to get the Liz Earle hot cloth cleanse and polish cleanser which I have wanted to try out for ages! It comes with a muslin cloth and is a two step process. Firstly you massage the cream which is quite rich and moisturising into your skin. Then step two involves the muslin cloth where you soak it in hot water, rinse, and then slowly polish off the cream. This cleanser is also a gentle product which includes natural active ingredients.

Advantages
It was a nice change to try the Cleanse and Polish because in comparison with the Special Cleansing Gel, it can be used on dry skin, so it feels quicker and as if you are missing a step (cheeky!).
I enjoyed using the muslin cloth because I liked the exfoliating sensation as it felt like I was really polishing my skin and giving it a deep cleanse.
I liked the smell of the product.  It smells really clean, herbal and fresh, in comparison to the Special Cleansing Gel which has no fragrance.
The Cleanse and Polish is quite rich and moisturising which is nice, especially in winter when skin is likely to be drier. It left my skin feeling soft, cleansed and moisturised in comparison to dermalogica which just leaves it feeling clean.  

Disadvantages
The negatives of the Cleanse and Polish I would say is that for me I found it wasn’t as good as the Special Cleansing Gel for removing all my makeup in one go, in particular my mascara and eyeliner.
The muslin cloth can be a bit irritating in the fact that you must wash it regularly, and I was worried about getting bacteria onto my face from wiping previous makeup off. In comparison with the Special Cleansing Gel where you use your hands and don’t have this problem.  
I also found that the Cleanse and Polish didn’t do as good a job as the Special Cleansing Gel for cleaning my face. I found that Dermalogica seemed to prevent more breakouts and kept my skin in better shape with regular use compared to Liz Earle.

Overall I think I will be sticking to my HG cleanser (special cleansing gel). I really have enjoyed the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish for a change, but it isn’t as good for me at getting done what I want. This is simply cleaning my face of all dirt and make up and preventing breakouts without irritating my skin! I think for me Liz Earle will be used every now and then to give my skin a change and a shock when it’s misbehaving!

I hope you found my review interesting and enjoyed! It took me a while to write as it’s my first one so bear with me :).
Feel free to comment!

Lots of love,
Charlotte x

No comments:

Post a Comment